Welcome to Babel Reviews! I’m Bill Greenwood, and I started this blog in January 2017 as a way of forcing myself to complete my New Year’s resolution: Listen to 12 classic albums that have somehow escaped me over the course of my 33 years on this Earth. Each month, I’ll be giving one of these records a good listen (at least five full play-throughs), and then reviewing it. These reviews will be posted on the fourth Wednesday of each month, so you always know when to come back for new stuff.
I love rock and roll more that pretty much anything. However, not-entirely-shitty guitar renditions of “Wonderwall” and “Basket Case” are the closest I’ve ever come to actual musical proficiency . So, I’ve been forced to make music a part of my daily life in other ways. Since 2011, I’ve worked in music business and tech PR at Jaybird Communications, a position that followed two internships at Sony Music Entertainment (specifically the Columbia Epic Label Group) and a stint doing all manner of promotional work for independent folk-jazz band Roosevelt Dime. I also currently manage New Jersey-based indie rockers The Paper Jets, who you should really listen to if you enjoy music that is good.
Some things you should know about me.
- Foo Fighters are my favorite band, and Dave Grohl is my hero. I have a pillow with his face on it. Shit is real.
- If you don’t at least like The Beatles, then I can’t respect your taste in music. Also, while I enjoy The Rolling Stones quite a bit, I believe that all you really need from them is Hot Rocks 1964-1971 and Exile on Main Street.
- I hate, repeat, hate U2. And yes, I have listened to The Joshua Tree in full. It did not sway me.
- I’m an emo kid at heart who has attended concerts by Joyce Manor, The Hotelier, Motion City Soundtrack, Dashboard Confessional, and Relient K in the past year.
Finally, this blog is named in honor of my girlfriend, Adrienne. If you’d like to know the story, befriend one of us and then ask. It will probably disappoint you.
And now, the musics!
To Be Reviewed in 2017
- Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Armed Forces
- Guns N’ Roses – Appetite for Destruction
- Jeff Buckley – Grace
- Joy Division – Closer
- Liz Phair – Exile in Guyville
- Nas – Illmatic
- Nine Inch Nails – The Fragile
- Radiohead – Kid A
- R.E.M. – Automatic for the People
- The Smiths – Strangeways, Here We Come
- Spoon – Kill the Moonlight
- The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground